Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blessed Life in a Small Community

Great Wednesday to everyone!  I hope that you are having a wonderful day.  Today is our first day of really cool temperatures.  I am enjoying the sunshine and brisk air.

My post today is about life in a small community.  Monday, I was driving through our tiny town called Tishomingo.


As I drove through town, I noticed lots of teenagers writing on the windows of all of the shops along main street in town.  I assumed that it was homecoming or something and smiled a little.  Tuesday, I was in town again and read a couple of the windows.  To my amazement, the writing was not for a sporting event but was to honor a young girl who lost her battle with cancer over the weekend.  Her name was Stevy.  I did not ever meet her but have heard so much about her.  Many of the messages said that she will always remain the hero of the high schoolers who wrote the messages.  I thought about and prayed for her parents that have to be grieving and emotionally and physically drained.  I thought how I felt the week after Mom passed away.  I had been her only care-giver and I was not really thinking clearly that week.  I was only focused on getting through each hour.  I thought how they must feel driving through town and seeing that in her young life, she had deeply impacted the youth of this small town in a very positive way.  I love that earlier in the year, the town sponsored a 5K, 10K run in support of Stevy and her family to raise money for them.  I read in the paper that there was a huge turnout.  I had so much community support as Mom was dying and I am sure Stevy's family has been comforted by the support of their community.  I love living in a small town where every member of the community matters to all the other members.

I did not have a sense of community when I moved to Oklahoma from California.  The common thing to do in California is to pull into your driveway/garage and go in your house.  Leisure time is usually spent in the backyard surrounded by the 8ft privacy fences.  I did not interact with my neigbors much even when my neighbors were my dear brother and sister's families.  I am glad that God brought me to a place where I can be a part of a supportive, kind loving community.  Thank you LORD.

 
The things that mattered to me when I came here were nearby shopping and restaurants.  The abundance of great food items to purchase and prepare. I do not miss those things.  I do drive 1 hour to bible study, 96 miles round trip twice weekly.  I do drive 30 minutes to the nearest Walmart.  I drive 1 hour for shopping other than Walmart.  It does not matter to me.  I love being part of this community and love life in a small town.  The things that matter now are much better for me. 













No comments:

Post a Comment