Saturday, October 8, 2011

Wheatless Healthy Berry Yummy Muffins


It is a glorious Fall Saturday.  Rain might be coming our way, beautiful sunshine with nice breezes.  Daulton is watching Oklahoma Sooners (OU) take Texas Longhorns (UT) to the woodshed, much to his dismay and my glee.  I am a bad winner, while I was baking in the kitchen he was taking a large degree of smack-talk from me about Texans. Will and Daulton are both Texans.  Will is on my side though. 

Will has not been feeling well.  He always feels great so I am a little worried about him.  He has been doing his homework to figure out how to feel better.  He is a genius at healthy living so I know he will figure it out.  He said today that he hasn't taken an antibiotic in over 10 years.  I think that is remarkable.  He drinks his lime drink to raise his body pH and get some sodium because he has been getting too much potassium in his orange juice and bananas. I think he also has a sinus infection.

His not feeling well prompted me to invent some healthy muffins that would be wheat free and that would give him some really good nutrients.  They are yummy so I am going to post the recipe for you today.

Wheatless Healthy Yummy Berry Muffins  

Level of difficulty - Easy
Time to prep - 10 minutes
Time to cook - 16 minutes

DRY INGREDIENTS
3 Cups Oat Bran Cereal (find it in the hot cereal section)
1 Cup Golden Milled Flaxseed 
1/2 Cup brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp cinnamon

WET INGREDIENTS

2 Cups vanilly soy milk or Skim Milk
4 Eggs slightly beaten
1/4 Cup Black Strap Molasses
1/4 Cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
2 TBL vegetable oil

ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
1 Cup chopped pecans
2 Cups fresh or frozen Berries.  I used a triple berry blend but you can use blueberries or blackberries.

Preheat oven to 425.  Line muffin tins with paper liners or spray them with nonstick spray.  Mix at medium speed the wet ingredients.  In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients slowly to the mixed wet ingredients, mix to combine.  Fold in the pecans and berries.  Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way and bake 15-17 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.  Cool on a rack and enjoy!

I analyzed the recipe.  Each muffin has 266 calories BUT they are VERY high in Omega 3's and have twice as many Omega 3's as Omega 6's.  They are a good source of RDA of calcium (11%), 

iron (9%), copper (9%), vitamin E (12%), magnesium (15%), All the B vitamins, is a perfect protein with all the essential amino acids present in the right proportions and a glycemic load of 13 even though it has sugar, honey and molasses in it.  The zinger is that one muffin as 13% of your daily fiber. 









2 comments:

  1. Glad you visited my place. It is nice to meet you. I sure love your sister, Kim. She is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim always inspires me and I love her very much. I am thankful God gave me her as my only sister. It's nice to meet you too. I am glad that I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete